Media & Entertainment
Northstar can help you grow your company faster and smarter
EXPERTS IN MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT FINANCE & ACCOUNTING
The Media & Entertainment industries are going through a time of huge transformation with constantly evolving market trends including fragmenting markets and increased competition. Our executives are former CFOs and Controllers who have the industry-specific experience and expertise to handle the unique financial requirements of this rapidly changing industry.
The Media & Entertainment Industries
A need for financial expertise
Media & Entertainment companies find themselves challenged by complicated financial issues stemming from:
- The rapid pace of change within the industry
- The complexity of industry-specific finance and accounting requirements
- A lack of qualified industry financial resources
Northstar provides our Media & Entertainment clients with dedicated, expert financial resources to eliminate these difficult challenges.
The speed at which change is happening in the Media & Entertainment industries is putting great pressure on the finance function to transform already complex financial reporting, processes, policies and systems.
Challenges Faced by Our Media and Entertainment Clients
Why you need Northstar
- Lack of resources for full-time CFO
- Feeling that a bookkeeper is sufficient
- Investing in other priority areas of the business
Rapid Pace of Industry Change:
- New content formats, technologies, media consumption & revenue models are evolving constantly
- Need to move to more digital media environment
- New content requires experienced resources in treasury/production finance functions and cash allocations
Scarcity of industry qualified financial resources:
- Can’t bring new films and TV series into production without accurate and believable ultimates
- Can’t generate timely, correct, and defensible participation statements for TV and Film projects
- We have difficulty translating the data into usable and management-ready analysis and insights
Immature Financial Controls and Processes:
- Need for more formal and suitable financial plans, records and forecasts
- Financial analysis and reporting necessary to raise capital or sell the business
- Our budgeting and forecasting processes are drawn out and take too long
Our Media and Entertainment Services
How we support your financial needs
- Professional Onboarding System
- Cleanup Historical Financials
- Review Tax Planning Strategy
- Entity Objectives
- Perpetual Data Room
- GAAP (and IFRS) compliant bookkeeping and financials
- Prepare Monthly Reporting Package
- Month End Reconciliations
- 6-Month Rolling Cash Forecast
- Accounting Policies & Controls
- Financial Models for Deal Analysis
- Treasury Management for Current Productions
- Participation Statement Generation
Under-Skilling Your Finance Function Can Lead To:
- Lower Profitability
- Projects failing to get off the ground/funded
- Financials Not being “Investor Ready”
- Lack of Metrics and Robust Reporting
- Lack of Policies & Controls
- Limited Cash Saving Protocols
- Lower Valuation for Your Business
- Weak Investor Relations
Media & Entertainment Client Benefits
How we support your financial needs
We have practical and real-world finance experience within the television and film industry that allows us to effectively:
- Drive bottom line results through improved financial disciplines, processes, and reporting implemented by executive financial leadership.
- Develop key financial statements and short- and long-term strategies that increase profitability.
- Allow clients to negotiate the most advantageous deal structures through the creation of dynamic and effective financial models and deal templates.
- Create accurate ultimates that provide accurate lifetime revenue, expense and profitability projections and generate the required financial and accounting statements.
- Understand the treasury management needs of film and TV productions, including effectively addressing production funding, maximizing loan paydowns, and maintaining contractual reserves.
- Our team has over a decade of real-world experience in generating and auditing participation statements to ensure every element is properly recorded and disbursed.
Why Our Media & Entertainment Clients Choose Us
Our financial advisers always help you